Monday, August 23, 2010

Team God vs. Team World

I really don't know how to start this. And I'm not certain where it'll lead, and where it's going to end up. Lately, to be honest, I've been having a hard time in the sense of relation towards other people. I love people. I would consider myself a people-person. But it's not there recently, that sense of relation isn't there. And I'm talking about my peers, kids my age. People I once was close to, but have taken a different route, seem to be falling into a deep, dark hole. My perception of Christianity is like this: As Christians, we're all on a team together. Captain? That would be God. And we're in this constant battle everyday against our opposing team, the world, who is led by the world, or Satan. And daily, our goal is to strive for Christ, and show Him through our actions and words, and slowly, but surely winning the hearts of the opposite team. So now picture this, your teammate on Team God deliberately betrays you and goes to Team World. How do you feel? Probably nothing less than betrayed. Come on! We're supposed to be a team here...we're not supposed to ditch our team. Our team is who we are. Well this is how I feel lately towards some of the people in my life, even some people that I used to be very close to. And it's sad. And it hurts. And it frustrates. The passage that's been on my mind lately comes from 2 Timothy 3:
But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!
I believe everyday we are sinking further and further into the pit of the end times...and I witness more and more corruption every single day in our society. The world has become a very dark, fallen, and hideous place. This is such a good passage to refer back to from time to time. I know for sure that it wakes me up a little bit when I read the words God so carefully picked out to put together in this fraction of our manual to life, the Bible. The more I see people from Team God slipping away, the more I feel being pulled back with them. There is no way that I want to be pulled back the slightest, so I make sure I throw some cold water on my face, so to speak, in these moments where I'm feeling abandoned by part of the team. No mortal can force someone on God's team, it's their choice whether they're going to choose Team God...or Team World.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verse 9 is crucial and it reads:
but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was.
Sin, my friends, HAS CONSEQUENCE. Everything we do, here on earth, whether it's good or bad in the sight of God, will reap whatever it has sown. So what are we to do? Live a righteous life and have the mindset of that one day all of our actions will be revealed to everyone. So living a righteous life now, on earth, is crucial. There is no righteousness without Christ. So how would one expect to be righteous without Christ? You say you're righteous, but are you consistently following Him? Or are you living for the world? You can't live for the world and expect to be righteous....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next, we come to verses 10-12:
But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me.
I love this. THIS, I relate to. Paul wasn't saying, "woe is me, woe is me!" No. He was reminding the people who followed Christ that God was with him every step of the way. And I completely agree. Couldn't agree anymore. I've been there, and you probably have too! We all have. In the times where we feel our lowest, and feel like there's no way out, bam...God opens our eyes and we see that He never even left us. And He lifts us out of our troubles so gracefully, beautifully..and let's see, verse 12 proves my point just now:Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To wrap up the passage, Paul writes in verse 13:
But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived. This, I'm sure we've all witnessed. And someone who is bad, without proper help, will go from bad to worse. We should watch out for this in people, as Christians. We should love on them and help them come back into faith in Christ. What I'm worried about is the generation to come...it's super important that we do all that we can to focus energy into the youth who will be leading tomorrow before we know it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verses 14-15 coincide with what I was just saying:
But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
At one point of my life, probably around age three or four, I began memorizing scripture. But I didn't just pick up a bible and start reading on my own. My parents took me to Cubbies, and from there I moved on to Sparkey's and so on. It was AWANAs, and I loved it. It definitely made a huge spiritual growth in my earlier years, and I still, to this day, remember verses I learned years ago. I held onto that knowledge. But AWANAs isn't just for youth. Memorizing scripture, the Bible, "God Breathed" words, is helpful for everyone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here, we come to two of my favorite bible verses to this day, verses 16-17:
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
GOD'S WORDS ARE REAL. The Bible isn't just filled with stories of events that happened forever ago...No. It's a manual and guide for this life for those who put their faith in God. This verse? It really helps clear some things up for me. It's pretty straight to the point. God wrote the Bible for a purpose. What's the purpose? WE ARE. God wrote it for us, His people. Reading His word, applying it to our lives, meditating on it, promises a positive outcome. A life with God in this world is worth it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sometimes I'll fall and end up tangled in Team World, I won't deny it. But then God pulls me up, fixes my injuries, hydrates me, and throws me back into the game. He's the ultimate coach, and one I'll never stop playing for.


-R

1 comment:

John Leih said...

Awesome :) and i like the sports relation also. The whole thing is great. You never cease to amaze me with your blogs